Rather Be Reading

I know there aren’t too many people who can relate to doing a mundane activity all day when all you want to do is read; but for those who do relate, I hear ya! I could be at work, the gym, or driving myself back to Jacksonville to visit my family, there are some moments when I wish I could ignore the responsibilities of life and escape to a world of narrative fantasy.

I found that my taste in books, though not the most eclectic, is popular with my friends’ interest. I’ve been recommending books and receiving praise for my selections from the pickiest of readers. I felt the need to share, especially since some of these novels never get the regard that they deserve.
And thus, the first installment of Rather Be Reading was born.

“We are used to thinking that what we give is the same as what we receive, but people who love, expecting to be loved in return, are wasting their time.
Love is an act of faith, not an exchange.”

I’d rather be reading Manuscript found in Accra by Paulo Coelho instead of heading off to work.

July 14, 1099 – On the eve of their city’s demise, the men and women of Jerusalem were faced with a choice. Run from the invasion of the crusaders, prepare for war, or all sit for one night to hear the wise words of a mysterious Greek man known as the Copt – to record and leave behind answers that they would never be able to share with future generations, to preserve the soul of Jerusalem. They all sat down asked questions about defeat, struggle, and the nature of their enemies; they contemplate the will to change and the virtues of loyalty and solitude; and they ultimately turn to questions of beauty, love, wisdom, sex, elegance, and what the future holds.

Their discussion was transcribed and left in the city to be found centuries later in a cave in the region of Hamra Dom. It was then and shuffled between hands, sold at markets, and moved through museums for safe keeping. But before it made its final resting place, in the Coptic Museum in Cairo, it fell into the hands of Coelho. He translated it and left the knowledge of the Copt for all to attain.

Not only does this novel make me want to chase my dreams rather than labor at my job, it gives advice on the trials and tribulations that one may endure in life. Each piece of counsel pertained to me in some way and each brought relief and understanding I had never felt. We’ve heard all the advice before, but never in this way. I felt at ease with attempting to follow the knowledge given in the pages.


Everyone can take something away from this story. It’s an easy read, and its insight can be the beginning of conversations about life that we all need to have. I can’t help but recommend it to all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#NotMyAriel?!: 10 Times White Actors Portrayed Real-Life Characters of Color

The National Museum of African American History and Culture

Disparities of Cherry Hospital - Asylum for the Colored Insane